Eggplant Parmesan a la Spanky
by Charles "Spanky" Price
- Make your favorite tomato sauce and reserve it.
- Cut the hide off your eggplant or eggplants and slice them fairly thin 3/8 to ½ inch but no thicker.
- Put them in a glass or plastic dish and salt them with kosher, sea salt or Himalayan Pink Salt (also better for you than the other salts).
- Cover the sliced eggplant with milk and water mixed about 50/50 and soak.
- Soak until the milk mixture turns light gray. 30 minutes or so. This gets the bitterness out of the eggplant.
- Turn the slices so they all get a chance to soak.
- Pat dry and make an egg and milk wash add some ground pepper and granulated garlic.
- Dredge in Italian breadcrumbs laced with more granulated garlic.
- Heat some good olive oil in a skillet and fry the slices on medium heat to not burn the oil and breadcrumbs.
- Place on paper towels to rest.
- Put the eggplant slices in a baking dish put some sauce on them and some good shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Layer up the remainder of the eggplant just like above then an extra hit of cheese on top.
- Bake in oven at 300 degrees or a little less depending on your oven until the cheese is all bubbly and starts to brown. Pull the dish out and let it rest a couple of minutes.
Then enjoy with your favorite pasta and bread if you dare!